The Shields Mission Project
An Outreach Ministry of the First Congregational Church of Camden
55 Elm Street
Camden, ME 04843
To help provide less fortunate citizens of Knox County and Lincolnville warmth, shelter, food, clothing, transportation, education, childcare, health care etc. and to enable them to become more able to live a productive and self-sustaining life.
The Shields Mission Project is a dedicated fund to benefit needy residents of Knox County and Lincolnville who do not qualify for assistance from various social services and governmental agencies. Its purpose is to help provide direct aid to individuals and families in crisis with immediate needs such as:
- Warmth: fuel and electricity
- Food, clothing
- Home maintenance as related to safety issues
- Health care: medical, dental, mental and vision
A Brief History of the Shields Mission Project
The SMP came into being following the church’s 2001 receipt of an unanticipated bequest from Dorothy Shields, a summer resident.
The original funding was depleted at year end 2012. Since that time funds have come from the Shields Restricted Fund which is supported by donations from both members of the congregation and the larger community.
The Shields Mission Project is a referral based program only. We work with many Knox County & Lincolnville social service organizations/case managers who are advocating for individuals in need of financial assistance. Our criteria are simple:
- Client lives in Knox County or Lincolnville.
- Client has a specific need that he or she cannot meet.
- Referring agency has determined that other appropriate sources have been sought and funding is not available from established sources (Federal fuel assistance funding, General Assistance, Section 8 housing, etc.)
- The request is concise and clearly thought out when presented
- A specific dollar figure has been established
- Referring agency cannot provide sufficient financial aid to handle the cost and will seek to share costs where possible.
Payments go directly to the provider of services: such as CMP, landlord, dentist, fuel oil company, etc. — not to the client.
For further information or to request assistance for a client please contact Shelley Mills, at 236-4821 Shields@camdenucc.org